Whether you’re a new business owner or you’re a seasoned entrepreneur, there’s always room to tighten your processes for enhanced efficiency. You’d be amazed at how much time is wasted on unnecessary busy work. Double-handling electronic files, ineffective systems and ultimately, lost productivity. If you’re committed to a smoother 2023, here’s how you can avoid the overwhelm and digital mess that goes hand in hand with the wrong foundations.
Identify the gaps
Everything you do in your business is a process. From replying to emails to drumming up new opportunities. If you’ve done it once, you’ll likely do it again at some point. Finding ways to replicate, automate and create a robust workflow will save you endless hours.
Group your business activities into categories such as
- Marketing: social media, advertising, email marketing
- Engagement: discovery calls, briefs, proposals, contracts, welcome kit
- Production: stock management, manufacturing, packing, quality control
- Delivery: shipping, customer service
- Finance: invoicing, expense management, BAS, tax, super, payroll
Consider what can be automated and how you can save yourself from re-work.
Map your ideal processes
If you had a magic wand, how would you spend your time? Rank your tasks and start with the one that fills you with dread. For the sake of this piece, we’ll assume its bookkeeping you loathe…
Example Bookkeeping Process
|Expense Invoices/Receipts||Upload, check, and allocate||Reports & BAS|
|Bank statements||Match transactions, and reconcile||Analyse & Save|
|Customer Sales Invoices||Create, Send, and Reconcile||Forecast, plan|
Consider the tools you’re currently using and where there’s room for improvement. Luckily, there’s a plethora of options that can revolutionise your processes in just one click.
- HubDoc for expense invoices (receipts): ditch the paper, and get a cloud-based solution working for you.
- Xero for automation: link your bank accounts and set up invoicing in your Xero file for automatic gathering.
- Xero for processing: once you’ve automated step 1, processing your income and expenses is simple.
- Xero for review: report and analyse in just one click! Maximise efficiency and use the same software for your end-to-end process.
You’d be surprised at how many business owners use multiple systems for one business process. Conduct an audit across the board and see how you can simplify to save time and money, stat!
Outsource the overflow
The best thing about process mapping is that resource gaps become oh-so-obvious. And now that you’ve got a streamlined process, you can see where your time and energy are being spent.
|Strategy||Bookkeeping||Customer Service||Stock Control||Website|
|Advertising Creative||Tax & Strategy||Client onboarding||Buying/Making||Wholesale|
|Social Media||Payroll||Client offboarding||Packing||Workload planning|
|Copywriting/Emails||Invoicing||Contracts||Quality Control||Resource Planning|
|Relationship Mgmt||Customer Service|
Part of working smarter is knowing how to use your skills and resources the right way. Find your overflow and outsource your way to a simpler business in 2023.
Simplify your bookkeeping!
Did you know the average business owner spends 100 hours a year on bookkeeping? That’s eight hours a month. Claim that time back and get us on the tools in ’23. Our bespoke bookkeeping services have been developed with your flourishing business in mind.